October 1, 2008

A. Picnic

We have a family tradition we had neglected for a few years of attending my Dad's company picnic en masse, where our competitive spirit has always reared its ugly head. Last Saturday, though, let me tell you, I almost felt bad for doing so well. Almost...

The kids had everyone-wins games, which were lots of fun for them.

They had a big blow up jumping castle, giant slide, and Son's favorite: Slip 'n Slide! I didn't know they had inflatable Slip 'n Slides nowadays...sure beats sliding over the rough ground back in the olden days!
They had one game each for the men and women, then an egg toss for a team. L won the guys' game, I won the women's, and we won the egg toss! Feel bad for the other guys yet?
The prizes for winning the games used to be cash. Lots of cash. In recent years, they started giving away prizes instead. But hey, it's all about the fun, RIGHT?!? So we, being the gracious winners that we are, offered to share the spoils with our less cutthroat family members. Feel better? It really is about satisfying the competitive spirit for us, the win is the best part. The prizes are just secondary. Did I just admit that???
Well, regardless of the motivation, we had tons of fun and so did the kids. I hope everyone else had fun, too, even though we CRUSHED THEM!!! (Oops, it slipped out again!!)