May 31, 2009

Money, Money, Money...




Do you know that song?

I just tallied up, for funsies, how much I spent on groceries in May. It was about what I thought it should be, not too much. I won't post the actual amount because I haven't asked the boss' permission(wink) and I don't think it's cool to do that without some prior communication. Anyway, I think I am a pretty smart shopper and budgeter and I thought I would share some of my money philosophies for you today.

Grocery Shoppers 101:

-stock up on nonperishables and get them CHEAP. Do not run down to the convenience store for a can of soup, because you will pay $5 for a $.50 can of soup. It adds up.

-If they put a limit on it, it is usually a great bargain and you should get the limit if you can freeze or store it.

-Figure out what you can go generic on(almost everything, trust me!) and find coupons for the name brands you can't live without. (Or stock up when there are sales)
-It is better to go with a huge list twice a month than go twice a list for a couple things. When I only have a couple things to get, I find I am more likely to throw random things in the basket. When I know I have a giant list to get, I am trying to focus on the list and do not make as namy impulse buys.

-When in doubt, look closely at the store price label. It will break down the price to cents per ounce(or unit) for you so you can see which deal is better. The "economy size" doesn't always work out better if the smaller one is on sale.

-the displays in the center of the aisle and the endcaps are not always the best deals. Take the time to go to the home aisle and compare.

-If I have an "I'm in a hurry, I don't care what it costs" attitude, things add up FAST!

General Money Philosophies:
If it ain't broke, don't replace it 'til it is...save up and watch so you know a good deal when you see one. If you fear your dishwasher is on its last legs(as I fear mine is), start watching and acquainting yourself with the brands and prices. Save up a little each week toward your clean dish fund. If you don't prepare yourself, you'll end up having to pay more than you should or not getting the one you really like for lack of funding. Or worse, having to CHARRRRGE IT!!!!!(shudder) If you have two appliances(or more-yikes) nearing retirement, breathe, save, and cross your fingers that they cross over one at a time(or at least, that's what I am currently doing.)

If you really want something, do without forever and ever and ever...(just kidding) but do wait until a birthday or holiday. Or the after Thanksgiving blowout sale. Or the Memorial Day sale. Or 4th of July...you get the picture. There is always a holiday sale coming around. Take the time to price(and brand) compare and wait for the next sale. The few big-ish purchases I regret are because I did not take the time to research them enough.

What else....? I reuse everything I can before I run out to the store. I make things and get creative because I can make something exactly the size and function I want, the things in the store seem to cost so much for what you get. And they just don't seem to fit with the ideas I have in my head. Not only am I recycling, but I am living c.h.e.a.p. See picture...explanation later. This item cost me nothing but my time to make.

(Please excuse the terrible photograpy, L is working today.)


0 comments: