November 18, 2008

Grandpa O

Top Ten Things Grandpa has taught me:

10. He taught me to be a "worrier" and to take other people's cares as my own. 9. I cannot look at the cover of a western movie or book without thinking of him. 8. I love black licorice(and black jelly beans) because they remind me of him. 7. I love the combination smell of green tic-tacs and Groom 'n Clean, not because they smell good, but because they smell like Grandpa.
6. He doesn't like to have people spend money on him, but he shows such great appreciation for the thought. He taught my mom, who taught me that it is the thought that(really) counts. I remember her getting up and burning eggs on Father's day to bring to him because that is the way she used to cook them for him when she was little. 5.He can grow a fantastic garden out of old recycled bathtubs. 4.He taught me not to waste things, to find a use for everything(or keep it until you do!) Oh, they call that recycling now, don't they? 3.I started weight watchers thanks to his and my Grandma's inspiration and success. 2. He showed me the value of hard work, giving us jobs. Herding cattle, bucking hay...really...tough...jobs. 1. He taught me that even when things get tough, you can have a sense of humor and focus on the future. Even now, the biggest thing on his mind is getting his 4-wheeler fixed so he can cruise around when he gets out. Everyone who talks to him hears a new plan of attack, and I for one am going to do all I can to make his plans work out. By the way, does anyone know anything about ATV's?

1 comments:

Jeremy and Cindy said...

Sorry it has taken me a while to comment I have been having computer troubles. We caught a trojan. I think you can't find too many people that were like your grandpas and my grandpas any more. There is just something special about them. They are hard working honest people not so caught up the the worldly things. I miss my grandpas but I have many wonderful memories and lessons that I have learned from them. I hope all goes well for your grandpa. Keep me posted.