November 19, 2008

Christmas

This year I have made a decision. Yes, times are tough all over, but I choose not to let that affect my Christmas or my children's lives. Regardless of how much(or little) money we have, we are going to be careful with it. That being said, we are focusing this Christmas, and hopefully every Christmas, on giving.

We are participating in a charity event and shopping for kids in need. This club provides the money and sizes, we do the shopping. It has been very profound for Son that we are shopping for clothes for these children, and that is all they are getting for Christmas, no toys. He got excited over the cute little Tinkerbell shoes we picked out for a little girl and said "How cute are those!" He cracks me up! We are giving our time. That is all it costs us to give ten children a Christmas.

This Christmas I took the two kids shopping to pick out a(less than $10) gift for each other, and that is all they are getting from the store from us. I am going to sew them a pair of homemade PJ's and another project which I will detail if it goes as planned. We are not poor, jobless, homeless, etc. But the gifts I cherish from my childhood are the ones that my Mom and Dad made for me. The time and love put into them have burned them indelibly into my memory. Ask me to name some of the more expensive store-bought gifts they gave me...ummmm? You catch my drift. The more we have, the less we appreciate it. I think because I did not have every single thing I wanted when I wanted it while I was growing up, I learned not to be greedy and to more easily separate wants from needs. At Christmas it is very easy for me to focus on what I am giving, but so hard for me to create a wish list for myself. I think this is a good thing. I am hoping to pass on the giving spirit to my children. I think my parents passed it on to me, and it is important.

0 comments: