September 8, 2009

Let's Get Cracking

Let's fix the health care system ourselves.  Anyone interested?  Hey, if Fantasy Footballers are running rampant this time of year, can't we have Fantasy Heathcare Reform?  Maybe we can come up with some money-saving ways to get better health care.  I am tired of hearing complaints about how the people in charge are not doing a good job...let's give them a boost.  What things do you like about the current health care system?  What things have got to go?  I do not want to argue about health care reform, or hear any negativity any more.  I have had enough.  I just want to pretend.  What would we like to see, in a perfect world, from our medical system? I'll get you started...

1. Salary caps.  For Doctors, Hospital administrators, CEO's of the drug companies, insurance companies...you name 'em.  Just like the NFL(although I have heard rumor of the salary caps going away next season...)
2. Limits on what hospitals and Doctors are allowed to charge.  I know I am not the only one who looks at the details of their hospital bill in shock and awe... $5.00 for ONE ibuprofen?  The outrageous amounts that are charged to the insurance companies have got to stop.  Likewise, they knock the prices down when the insurance company haggles them.  There should be a set price for what health care costs, and it should be kept to a minimum.
3. A person should not be denied healthcare they are needed.  If they have insurance and their doctor determines that a procedure is necessary, it should be covered.
4.  Doctors need to learn how to do their jobs.  I am sorry, but in the extensive experience I have had with many doctors in the last two years, they seem to be playing a very expensive guessing game.  With my money, not theirs.  I have been to more wasted appointments where nothing was accomplished, consults, followups, et cetera, than I can count.  Not only is this monetarily wasteful, it causes unnecessary time wasted for the patient in pain and frustration.  Doctors should know how to treat a patient, and if they are unable to diagnose, they should do more than throw their hands up and leave the patient to find a doctor who knows how to help them.  They should care enough to find another doctor who can really help the patient, otherwise they should not be doctors themselves.  See the hippocratic oath.
5. We, as patients, need not to waste our doctors' time.  Not to mention our insurance companies'(read: our) money.  We need to better educate ourselves on when a doctor visit is needed, when emergency care is needed, and when rest and time will best serve our recovery.  Emergency rooms are crowded with non-emergencies and people who cannot get in to see their primary doctor.  People cannot get in to see their primary doctor because their offices are crowded with people who are there for a virus or cold which the doctor can do nothing for.  It is an endless cycle that we need to break.
6. I laughed out loud to hear someone outraged at the healthcare reform, saying they wanted to be able to choose their own doctor.  I can't choose to see whatever doctor I want.  Not if I want my insurance to pay for the visit.  I have to choose from a book put out by my insurance company of doctors who are under contract with them.  My most recent new doctor does not have a contract with my insurance company, or probably yours.  Maybe Medicare, I think, but that is the only one.  I was specifically told that he may be the man to fix my long and ongoing problem.  What choice do I have?  Pay for the visits out of my pocket.  And that is just one example.  Heaven forbid you get sick while you are...gasp...out-of-network!  How dare you go on vacation!  Shameful!  The point of #6 is that I can't choose my own doctor under the current system.  And I am not pretending to know everything(or anything) about the proposed reform. 
7. Insurance companies should be charities.  Non-profit(or not-for profit) organizations.  They should be focused on helping and healing, not making money and greed.  Or they should go the way of the Dodo bird.  Extinct.


That's all I have for today.  Leave a comment and I will add on more and credit you for your contribution.  Please leave out negativity, constructive criticism and opposing viewpoints welcome as long as you tell me how pretty I am. ;)

1 comments:

Yadirapocketfullofhopes said...

You are not pretty you are beautiful!! :0 see you Saturday!