December 10, 2009

Happy Birthday Dear Husband...

Today is the special day my husband was born, many(but one less than me) years ago.  So today, he is a year younger than me(again.)  Yesterday he was two years younger than me.   I felt like such a cougar.  But today, for another 10 months, I am only one year older than he.  Who cares, right?  I do.  Maybe when we are 90 and 91 one tiny little year won't seem so much, but 29 and 30...wow.  Who is that old broad he's married to?  With a little help from Oil of Olay(I guess I should buy some)  I hope to age slower than he does so that in 10-20 years, I will look younger than him.  I am hoping his gray hair comes in quickly, that will help.  Just kidding.....but am I?

So I struggle every year with making sure my darling has a good birthday.  I always buy his presents waaaaay too early and can't hold out, so he has had his birthday(and Christmas) presents for months now.  So every year I sigh when the event comes 'round.  What else can I do to make his birthday memorable?  Like the year my son was born, and was four months old.  My dear partner woke me gently and whispered, "Do you know if I have any clean underwear?"  True Story.  I did manage to find a pair for him, but still.  Bad wife of the year.  So this year what can I do but write a loving and sweet tribute to him that he will read again and again.  Aren't I already doing that?  Hmmm...it doesn't look like it.  New Paragraph.

Happy Birthday, my darling husband.  I remember the first birthday I shared with you.  You were turning 15, and we were at a rehearsal for the Messiah, when our choir director requested it of us.  I remember thinking, "Oh, crap.  He is just turning 15!"  I was really feeling like a cougar in those days.  But I know how you love it.  We have been through many many years since then, some easier and some tougher.  But somehow we have made it through all of them together every day.  I look forward to sharing many more birthdays with you, and I promise that each one will be more special than the last.

Here we are at 17 and 18, I think:

See the stars in our eyes?  Ah, young love.

And here we are, last weekend. 


Sorry, for some reason this one wouldn't go any bigger.  And maybe you don't want to see our wrinkles up close anyway.  I didn't.  Just kidding.  I hope you have a great birthday, babe.

0 comments: