August 3, 2010

Sad Neglect

I must begin by apologizing for the sad lack of summer posts and pictures. Yikes. So, so I post old news and pictures one by one, or one giant too-lazy-to-do-more post? Yeah, you know me, all right! So one gigantic, I-just figured-out-how-to-upload-pictures-to-my-new-computer post(I-think-I-am-addicted to-this-key.)
The summer went by far too fast for my taste. So fast, in fact, that I don't know what happened to most of the pictures I took anyway. So the gigantic post I promised will probably be broken up into a couple disjointed pieces jumping around to document our adventures. Oh, well, the curse of having two computers, I suppose.
We made a special breakfast for Father's day, and my son has discovered french toast. Can you blame him? His mother is only an awesome cook! He learned how to dip it and flip it, two of the things that make French Toast great! Butter and powdered sugar topped it off, and he was hooked!
I do have a question for you, my faithful readers. Do you find that your daughters are more willing to help around the house than your sons? My daughter is always right next to me when it is time to do dishes, or cook. My son has to be called and instructed what to do. He is five and she is three, so is it their age that is the difference, gender or personalities? I had to talk to my son about how important it is to learn how to cook and clean up so that he can do it for himself when he grows up. But is this something carried in the Y chromosome? Are males born helpless and reliant on females? Is it innate for them to have a subservient female, mother and then later wife, to cook for them and clean up after them? Or do we as mothers condition our sons to expect to be served their whole lives? Am I fighting against nature to teach my son to fend for himself? Nah....





We also toured the Fire Station with some friends and had a fabulous time! A dear friend took some pictures of my kids and sent these adorable ones of my daughter to me: apparently, the pictures of my son jumping off of the pillars outside the station didn't turn out! hahaha!
Notice the Fireman badge...






How did I give birth to this? She is so beautiful I fear for her safety. Seriously.










1 comments:

Unknown said...

It is SO their gender, Jen. Not because boys are innately helpless, but becaues he's gender identifying, so while it's great to be able to cook and be a good Daddy someday (by taking care of kids etc), because you do those things they are "female" tasks. I bet he's the first one by Luis' side when he needs help on one of his tasks.

The way to get your son to help in the kitchen more-- is to get your HUSBAND to help in the kitchen more.


OH the burden of mothers of boys! My friends with girls the same age as Silas say that they're so eager to help they're always under foot, whereas my son only chooses to help me as a last resort-- or with the "manly" tasks of helping take the groceries in, or the trash out... or squashing bugs. :D